Hi, my name is Alexa Easterly. I’m from Hillsboro, Oregon and a GHR Fellow studying Marketing, Data Analytics, and Communications. Before coming to Ghana, I set a personal goal to increase my spice tolerance. It’s safe to say I’ve had a lot of opportunities to do this during our travels! 

 Today at breakfast, I asked everyone in our group: What will you miss the most about Ghana? I also asked our SIT guides and staff: What will you miss the most about guiding this learning experience? (More on the responses later.) 

 Our bus ride to Caris Gold was full of conversation, singing, and a lively dance-off in the back of the tro tro.  

 


Dora, the CEO of Caris Gold explained the variety of fruit juices and snacks the company prepares for hotels, restaurants, and events. She shared some of the challenges they experienced during the holiday season and reflected on how in-demand juices have become lately. We also learned about some of the challenges of a seasonal business here in Ghana, such as how difficult it can be to source fresh fruit within reasonable vicinity and cost. It was amazing to see Dora light up once she began to talk about her entrepreneurial journey and how her passion for crafting drinks had led to her starting her journey to innovate and develop her own company.  

 After our conversation, we put on hairnets and embarked on a tour of juice production. We experienced the manual process to squeeze sugarcane through a press to make sugarcane juice and the automated orange juice-making machine owned by the company. 

After our production efforts, we enjoyed a delicious lunch consisting of serval fruit juices crafted at the facility, spicy chicken kebabs, and spring rolls. In addition to these treats, we were also able to experience some unique drinks created by Officer Reginald as he experimented with combinations of juice flavors. 


 
After a group picture, we ventured to a local market for some last-minute gift shopping. Some - including me - took quick power naps to ensure we’d be rested up for the hustle and bustle of the marketplace.  

 The market was housed inside a large building with numerous twists and turns—every space filled with various types of beadwork, paintings, and more. We were all so swept up by the marketplace that somehow we forgot to take any pictures! Outfitted in our team shirts, many in the market quickly learned our names as we tried out best at bartering. There were so many unique stalls with jewelry, statues, art, dresses, and more. It was quite a contrast to markets in Minnesota. People were more than happy to engage in conversation about their items, and many of the vendors were helping one another out with different sorts of tasks. On the bus, we shared the gifts we had purchased. It was surprising to hear how well some people had managed to barter for their first time!  

 Upon return to the hotel, we filmed a TikTok video - at least part of one (oops). The women changed into their Ankara dresses and the men into their Kaftan outfits, and we took pictures before heading out to our farewell dinner. There was a lot of reminiscing about the trip, our group dynamics, and our travel adventures. We talked about how we have all come together so quickly.  The GHR Fellow meetings won’t feel the same without the others; of this, we are certain, but we won’t let that stop us from continuing to spend time together through more game nights!  

 Our farewell dinner was a buffet at a beautiful hotel, the Peduase Valley Resort. There was a wide assortment of soups, proteins, salads, and delectable desserts. After some heartfelt words from the SIT staff, we each stood up and said something we loved or were surprised about from our Ghana experience. I think it’s safe to say a lot of us were on the verge of tears, especially when we were called up to get our pictures taken with Officer Reginald.  

 

We sang our favorite karaoke tunes on the bus ride back and had a fun night of card games and Hot Seat, which led into the next day. It was a great way to end our last night in Ghana and I know we’ll all miss it dearly, but we are looking forward to how we will carry our experiences forward.  

 Below are the compiled responses to the questions asked earlier. In addition to these takeaways, we encourage you to ask us questions about what we encountered and discovered through our Ghana experience. While words alone cannot express the impact of our journey, we will all be happy to share our stories through conversation, pictures, and videos. 

 Alec: “I will miss the community & family we have developed throughout our time here - both between each other and with our wonderful SIT staff.” 

 Allison: “Learning something new every time I talk to Reggie or Esther” 

 Izzy: “I’m going to miss the people at SIT the most. They made all of us feel so welcome and were always happy. Even when we had rough days, they always made sure we were smiling and dancing whenever they could. I’ve never met such an amazing and kind group of people before.” 

 Jordan: “What I'm going to miss the most in Ghana is our time together on the bus and the community we have built here!” 

 Spencer: “I’m gonna miss our SIT staff and the general hospitality. The SIT staff is awesome, and they’ve made this experience what it is for the best.”  

 Sophie: “I’m going to miss the vibrant and welcoming community, beautiful landscapes and SIT staff.” 

 Lydia: “I am going to miss our incredible staff at SIT and the time we spent collectively as a group learning and enjoying new experiences” 

 Ethnee: “What I’m going to miss most about Ghana is its hospitality. Everyone is so kind and inviting. The community makes visitors feel very welcomed!” 

 Ethan Wilson: “What I’ll miss most about Ghana is the hospitality and the utmost friendliness in every interaction.” 

 Ethan Erickson: “I will miss the entire SIT staff who brought energy and pushed us to be critical thinkers throughout the trip. I loved the variety of experiences we had and discussions we had as a group. I will miss the little interactions with locals and the friendliness of the Ghanaian people here. I’m left with the words love and hospitality as I depart. Miss you Ghana!” 

 Ethan Johnson: “The thing I will miss most about this group and our time in Ghana was the laughs we shared every day. There was never a bus ride, meal, meeting, or site visit that wasn’t filled with laughter, and I think that is one of the reasons we have all grown so close these last 2 and a half weeks. The SIT staff was also a part of this constant laughter and watching them leave after dropping us off at the airport felt like part of our family was missing.” 

 Alexa: “I’m going to miss the people the most without a doubt, but I’m also going to miss the food and the way that art is ingrained into nearly every aspect of Ghanaian culture.” 

 Ellie: “I will miss the people and the community the most- they choose joy in every circumstance and lead so well in love. And Marlon’s dad lore.” 

Madi: “The community, including the students and the faculty, and just how welcoming it feels here.” 

Dr. Marlon: “I will miss the community we created on this trip. This was a once and a lifetime trip, so I was honored to be on this trip.” 

 Dr. DeVinck: “I will miss most our team – the students, staff, and all our new friends we’ve made along the way. I have thoroughly enjoyed the camaraderie we’ve shared, the laughter, questions, and learning along the way.” 

Reggie: First off, I want to use this medium to thank you all for your love, support and commitment to this program.  

I know for sure, I’ll wake up on Friday and shout “Agoo” “Counting off *Zero*”  

I will miss sharing the bus with you all and making sure your stay in Ghana is a very memorable one.  

I’ll miss my beloved Captain Dr. Kristine for her continued support and sharing of ideas. 

I will miss Marlon and his very deep nuggets of wisdom shared every time. 

I’ll miss our long bus rides and sharing knowledge and answering questions from our window view.  

I’ll miss us singing “Hello Monica and I’m Unavailable” on the bus. 

I’ll miss our debriefing sessions coupled with a lot of knowledge and wisdom from all the students.  

I’ll miss telling you how flexible the schedule is and changing it as much as we should to make your stay and study great.  

I’ll miss experiencing my country through different lenses.  

“I mean it when I say you’re my best group ever.” 

Last year had some of my favorite people but this year has my all-time best and awesome group.  

Love you all. I’m tearing up right now. See you all soon 

 Dr Ama: “It’s always a pleasure to see non-Ghanaians enjoy our beautiful country so much.  

And that we get to be part of and help you experience Ghana is always a highlight for me.  

I will miss your curiosity and eagerness to learn, which I always got from the questions you ask and discussions we had.  

And also, the music/singing on the bus on the last night. I will definitely miss that too.šŸ˜„” 

Esther: “I always look forward to the questions, the smiles and little funny moments.” 

 Evans: “What I'll miss most is how you're all readily available to help get things done. Your readiness to learn and explore new adventures is admirable, the strength you all exhibited is incredible and your adaptability to always move along with the flow amidst a packed schedule is top notch. Finally, I admire your sense of humor.” 

 Nana Ama: “I will miss the cooking class and the beautiful memories we created that day, it was one of the most wonderful days of my life.  I’ll miss you all eating my food and passing by to appreciate me. Your little “thank you” keeps a smile on my face and makes me want to always do more.” 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1: Greetings from Ghana

Day 3: Twi-refic Rainy Day!

An eager start!